This statement describes rules for users of the Great Energy Blog website located at www.greatenergychallengeblog.com (the “Site”), who register on the site “Community Member” to upload material, post comments, and provide other content (“User Content”) to the Site.
The Great Energy Blog expects that in their participation and postings, its Community members will observe the following rules (“Community Rules”):
- Don’t be abusive towards others. We encourage open and candid discussions and debates, however, all communications should be civil and respectful. Differences of opinion are okay, personal attacks are not. Additionally tools made available to help, such as the Report Abuse button, should not be used to stifle or censor views nor as a tactic to bully other users.
- Stay on topic. Comments and contributions to the Site or social media channels should be relevant to the topic being discussed. Off-topic posts or those that do not provide substantive purpose or relevance will be removed.
- Keep it civil and respectful. Comments or content posted to the blog or social media channels that are violent, threatening, abusive, sexually explicit, obscene, offensive, hateful, derogatory, defamatory, libelous, racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable, will not be tolerated and may result in the termination of the user’s use of and registration on the websites. Content containing excessive profanity will either be replaced [with an *] or removed entirely.
- Keep it legal. Participating in, suggesting, or encouraging any illegal activity is cause for immediate removal and termination of a user’s use of and registration on the Great Energy Blog, as well as being reported to the appropriate authorities.
- No spam. Posting the same message, or an unsolicited commercial message, to one or many articles, galleries or discussions is considered spam and will be removed. Duplicate messages may be removed as well.
- No solicitation. Posts containing personal or commercial solicitation, inappropriate links or advertising will be removed (e.g., “Friend me on Facebook.”, “Win a free laptop.”, etc.).
- Observe copyright and trademark law. The posting of videos, photos or other material that is written, created or owned by a third-party is not permitted. Links to any articles, news reports, or other copyrighted material included in comments or posts must credit the relevant copyright owners.
- No impersonation. The registration of multiple accounts for the purpose of trolling, harassing or with the intent to disrupt the flow of conversation on the Site is not allowed. Engaging in this type of behavior may result in ALL user names being banned.
- Protect your privacy. Do not post personal or any other information that you do not want made public. Any reference to the identity of the participant with the exception of what is disclosed upon registration will be removed.
- Respect the privacy of others. Any reference to personal information about other users or National Geographic or Planet Forward employees (apart from what has been disclosed) that can be used to identify or locate another individual, or that could be otherwise be deemed to constitute invasion of another’s privacy will be removed.
- Don’t upload or post inappropriate content. If a user uploads or posts inappropriate content to the Site they may be banned from further participation. There are numerous websites that allow users to upload and view inappropriate, pornographic and shocking photos and videos, the Great Energy Blog is not one of them.
Although the Great Energy Blog does not routinely monitor User Content, the Great Energy Blog reserves the right (but assumes no obligation) to delete, move, or edit any User Content that comes to its attention that we consider unacceptable or inappropriate, whether for legal or other reasons. Conduct by any Community member that, at the sole discretion of National Geographic and Planet Forward, restricts or inhibits any other Community member or user of the Site from using or enjoying the Site will not be permitted. National Geographic and Planet Forward reserve the right to refuse access to the Site or revoke Community membership to any user for any reason, including, without limitation, a reasonable belief that the user in question has violated these Community Rules, the Site Terms of Service, any other operating rules or terms posted on the Site, or any of the copyright or trademark laws of the United States.